What is a Genuine OEM Ink Cartridge?
Whether you are shopping here at SuperMediaStore.com or one of the many online retailers for ink cartridges, some of the terms you may have come across quite frequently may include "genuine ink cartridges", "original ink cartridges", or "OEM ink cartridges". What does this mean exactly? All three terms if fact refer to the same thing:
"Genuine, original, and OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) ink cartridges refer to ink cartridges that are manufactured by the same company that makes your printer. An OEM Hewlett Packard ink cartridge, for example, is manufactured by HP and not a 3rd party."
What are the benefits of going with Genuine OEM Ink Cartridges?
There is no denying that genuine OEM ink cartridges are generally more expensive than their compatible and remanufactured counterparts (up to 70% in some cases). Even so, there are reasons for buying a more expensive genuine OEM ink cartridge:
- Peace of mind for obtaining the best quality prints.
- Peace of mind for 100% compatibility with a specific printer model.
- Peace of mind for obtaining the highest yields.
- Peace of mind for reliability and minimizing downtime.
- A compatbile or remanufactured version of a ink cartridge is not available.
While a quality compatible or remanufactured ink cartridge can provide similar performance compared to the original version; the premium price can be justified when peace of mind for quality, compatibility, and performance is of the utmost importance.
How many pages can I print with my genuine OEM ink cartridge?
The number of pages you can print entirely depends on the remanufactured ink cartridge itself, as some cartridges state a higher yield than others. Ink cartridge manufacturers provide either: 1. yield and/or 2. capacity. Yield (estimated number of printed pages) is based on a 5% page coverage (5% of a page is printed on). For example: a 200 yield original ink cartridge will provide ~200 printed pages at 5% coverage per page. Capacity refers to the amount of ink that a cartridge contains and is usually measured in milliliters (ml). Currently the only manufacturer to provide capacity information is Hewlett Packard.
Your OEM ink prices are still too expensive. What are some other ways I can save money?
Follow any of the tips below to save additional money on already low everyday prices at SuperMediaStore.com:
- Buy more than one: Many of our ink cartridges offer a quantity discount when you purchase more. For example: when purchasing at least 5 original Primera 53330 ink cartridges, you save 11% on each cartridge.
- Buy ink cartridge sets: For printers that require multiple ink cartridges (such as Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow for the Epson WorkForce 610), consider buying ink cartridge sets as they are generally cheaper compared to buying each cartridge separately.
- Consider purchasing a remanufactured or compatible ink cartridge: Going with a remanufactured or compatible version of an ink cartridge can yield great savings over an OEM version. Evaluate your needs and make a choice accordingly (don't forget the benefits mentioned above).
- Sign up for our email promotions: Receive email alerts delivered right to your inbox with our latest and greatest offers on genuine OEM ink cartridges.
- Print in draft mode: For documents where print quality is not a concern (e.g. online receipts, directions, etc.), consider printing in draft mode (usually under printer settings under "Preferences") to save ink that ultimately saves you money.
Still Have Questions?
Feel free to contact a customer service representative via Live Chat (in the lower right hand corner) or visit our Contact Us page.